Saturday, June 7, 2014

Reading aloud to students

"Read to me"...that is the common phrase said to me from my 8 year old.  She said it when she was two (although it sounded like "Weed to me Mawmy"), and I hope she continues to say it!  Children will always ask for what they need, it's up to us to recognize that even though we are busy (or we don't see it as THAT important), they feel what they need, from when they are toddlers all the way through adolescence and adulthood.  Cadence, tone, excitement; all of these elements are learned behavior.  How many times do avid readers flock to hear words directly from the author's mouth?  We all love to hear the written word, why would a middle schooler or high schooler be different?  In the science classroom, we often do not read (aloud or otherwise), and I feel that reading could implement not only a greater understanding of the information, but also instill an interest that might not otherwise be cultivated.  
Tell me what you think...

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment